Welcomed by the IPSE, the Liberal Democrat manifesto, which was published last week, shows a great amount of support for contractors.
As well as reviewing the changes to the IR35 legislation, the Liberal Democrats have also looked at IPSE’s calls to:
- Clamp down on late payment by requiring government agencies and large companies to sign up to the Prompt Payment Code.
- End retrospective tax changes like the loan charge.
- Extend parental leave and parental pay to freelancers.
- Reform Universal Credit to make it work for the self-employed.
- Simplify business taxation to lower administration costs.
Andy Chamberlain, Deputy Director of Policy at IPSE (the Association of Independent Professionals and the Self-Employed), said, “We are delighted that the Liberal Democrats have taken up so many of our policies to support the self-employed. In recent weeks, we have met with several senior Liberal Democrats, so it is excellent to see that our points have cut through.