Recent research has revealed the best UK cities for graduates to both live and work in – this is based on circumstances, such as pay, living costs and future prospects.
The findings, compiled by CV-Library, show the following results:
- For a high starting salary – Glasgow and London command the highest graduate salaries (26,195 and £25,909 per year.
- For a substantial pay rise in the future – While Birmingham has the second lowest starting salaries for graduates (£21,823), you can expect this to rise by 53.9% in the future. London and Newcastle also offer great prospects, with average pay in these cities being 52.8% and 50.2% higher than graduate salaries.
- For cheap rent – Sheffield and Newcastle are the cheapest cities for graduates to live in, with rent costing professionals £368 and £375 per month respectively. Unsurprisingly, London is the most expensive city to rent in (£698), followed by Cardiff (£593).
- For buying a house in the next five years – If you live in Glasgow, you only need to save 17.9% of your monthly salary, which equates to £201.67 a month. In comparison, living in London means having to save 80.5% of their pay packet each month.
- For a more disposable income – Sheffield is the top area in this category, as you can expect to have £1,158.37 leftover to spend each month after bills and rent. This is followed by Glasgow (£1,129.51) and Southampton (£1,095.41).
Lee Biggins, founder and CEO of CV-Library commented, “With candidates holding more power than ever before, it’s an exciting time to be entering the job market as a graduate. Not only is there an abundance of employment opportunities at your fingertips, but pay for these roles is competitive across the UK.
“What’s more, our findings suggest that while salaries in certain cities lag behind slightly, when you take into account living costs in these areas, you may actually be in a better position than you would if you lived in London. It’s crucial to take these major elements into consideration when searching and applying for graduate jobs.”
To find out more about contracting please contact Jaime on 01442 795 100 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.