Transfer for FREE Between ContractorUmbrella and Dolan Accountancy

Find Out More

New to the UK?

In order to work in the UK you may need a work permit or a visa; you should check whether or not this is the case before you approach an agency or an Umbrella Company. Follow the link to find out more:

You will also need a National Insurance Number which is a personal number that is used to record an individual’s NI contributions and credited contributions. You should apply to the Department of Work and Pensions as soon as you begin work. You will have a face to face interview and you may need to fill in a form as well. You will be required to provide certain documentation for the interview – more information can be found here:

If you work through an Umbrella Company you must ensure that you have a UK bank account so that payments can be made to you via electronic transfer. This website may be useful:

You should contact the Inland Revenue when you arrive in the UK and you will normally be asked to complete a form P86 which will enable them to determine your residence status for tax purposes. More information regarding tax residency and potential liabilities can be found here:

An Umbrella Company will pay you through PAYE (Pay As You Earn) which means that, if you have no other source of income, you will have no additional tax liability at the end of each tax year, which runs from April to April.